Using a Formula CONCATENATE + TRANSPOSE to Combine Values. The best way to combine text. Now, we enter the arguments for the CONCATENATE function, which tell the function which cells to combine. We want to combine the first two columns, with the First Name (column B) first and then the Last Name (column A). So, our two arguments for the function will be B2 and A2. There are two ways you can enter the arguments. You can combine data from multiple cells into a single cell using the Ampersand symbol (&) or the CONCAT function. Combine data with the Ampersand symbol (&) Select the cell where you want to put the combined data. Type = and select the first cell you want to combine.
Does merging rows and columns in Excel seems a tough task for you to perform? Read this tutorial to learn different ways to merge rows and columns in Excel.
Microsoft Excel is a very useful application and can be used for performing various tasks. This is the reason Excel provides various useful functions to make the task easy for the users.
One of the most common tasks that everyone needs performing now and then is merging rows and columns.
But the problem is that performing this is not an easy task and Excel does not provide any tool to do this.
This is quite complicated as merging rows and columns in some cases causes data loss.
As while trying to combine two or more rows in the worksheet by making use of the Merge & Center button (Home tab > Alignment group), you will start getting the error message:
“The selection contains multiple data values. Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most data only.”
And if you click OK, merged cells would contain just the value of the top-left cell and as a result, entire other data will be removed.
So this is what leads you to Panic situation!!!
To get rid of this, today in this article I am sharing different ways to easily merge rows and columns in excel without losing any data.
Below check out the fixes on how to merge rows in Excel or how to merge columns in Excel.
To recover Excel data without any data loss, we recommend this tool:
This software will prevent Excel workbook data such as BI data, financial reports & other analytical information from corruption and data loss. With this software you can rebuild corrupt Excel files and restore every single visual representation & dataset to its original, intact state in 3 easy steps:
There are different methods for combining row and columns text in Excel. Here check the ways one by one to merge data without losing it. First, check how to merge rows in Excel.
When it comes to merging the Excel rows there are two ways that allow you to merge rows data easily.
Excel provides various formulas that help you combine data from different rows. Possibly the easiest one is the CONCATENATE function. So here checks out some examples for concatenating numerous rows into one:
Now check how the CONCATENATE formula works on the real data.
The Merge Cells add-in is used for merging various types of cells in Excel. This allows you to merges the individual cells and also combines data from entire rows or columns.
Please Note: You need to download a merge cell add-ins for third-party sites available online. Search in Google for add-ins.
Follow the given steps to combine two or more rows in your table:
So, these are the two ways that allow you to merge rows in Excel without any data loss. Now, check out the ways on how to combine two columns in Excel.
Here check out the 3 ways to merge data from several columns into one without using VBA macro.
1. Into your table > insert a new column > in the column header place the mouse pointer > right-click the mouse > select Insert from the context menu. Name the newly added columns for eg. – “Full Name”
2. In the cell D2, write the formula: =CONCATENATE(B2,” “,C2). The B2 and C2 are the addresses of First Name and Last Name. And in the formula, the quotation marks “” is the separator that will be inserted between merged names any other symbol can be used as a separator e.g. a comma.
3. Just like this, join data from several cells into one by making use of any separator of your choice.
4. Simply, copy the formula to other cells of the Full Name column. If the First name or the Last name is deleted, then the corresponding data in the Full name Column will also be gone.
5. Next, try converting the formula to a value so that you can remove the unnecessary columns from the Excel worksheet. Choose entire cells with data in the merged column (choose the first cell in “Full Name” Column > press Ctrl +Shift + Arrow Down)
6. Now copy the contents of the columns to clipboard > right click on the cell in the same column (“Full Name”) > choose “Paste Special” context menu > choose “Values” radio button > click OK.
7. Now remove “First Name” & “Last Name” columns that are not required. Click the column B header > press and hold Ctrl > click column C header.
8. After that make a right-click on any selected columns > select Delete from the context menu.
9. This is it, now you have successfully merged the names from 2 columns into one.
This is another way that allows you to merge several columns. Here you don’t need any formulas. This is suitable for combining adjacent columns to make use of the same delimiter for all of them.
For Example: If looking for combining 2 columns with First Names and Last Names into one:
So, this is the second way that allows you to merge columns in Excel without any data loss.
This is the easiest and quickest way for combining data from numerous Excel columns into one. Just make use of the third party merge cells add-in for Excel.
And with the merge cells add-in you can merge data from many cells by using any separator you like (for example carriage return or line break). With this, you can join row by row, column by column, or merge data from the selected cell into one without any loss.
There are many third-party add-ins online sites that allow you to download the add-ins and merge the cells easily in just a few clicks.
So this is all about merging rows and columns in Excel without any data loss.
Follow the given steps to combine text in rows and columns easily.
Hope the given different steps will allow you to perform the task easily in the rows and column. Here I have described different methods of merging rows and columns data in Excel without any data loss.
So make use of anyone that you find easy for you.
However if in case you come to face any issue or data loss situation in Excel then make use of the MS Excel Repair Tool. This is the best tool that allows you to repair and recover data from the corrupted, damaged Excel file.
Additionally, you can learn advanced Excel to become more productive and easily utilize Excel functions and formulas.
Margret Arthur is an entrepreneur & content marketing expert. She writes tech blogs and expertise on MS Office, Excel, and other tech subjects. Her distinctive art of presenting tech information in easy to understand language is very impressive. When not writing, she loves unplanned travels.